Coffee + chocolate = delicious! You will kill two birds with one stone with this combination. I believe you will enjoy this cupcake just as much as I do.
A few things to keep in mind when making this non-dairy cream cheese frosting. Non-dairy cream cheese is softer than regular creme cheese. Please leave it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. I would recommend the Tofutti brand because it is a little firmer than most non-dairy cream cheese brands. I also recommend using stick non-dairy butter for baking. I would also leave it in the refrigerator because it too is softer than regular butter. Finally, once you have combined all your frosting ingredients, whip it on the highest speed for 3 minutes; your frosting will be amazing!
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup pure cane sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup espresso powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Coffee Frosting:
8 oz nondairy cream cheese(recommend tofutti brand)
1 stick nondairy butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 cup espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350F; prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and espresso powder. Set aside.
3) In another medium mixing bowl, combine almond milk, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and mix until combined. Do not over mix; you will create air pockets in your cupcakes.
4) Fill each cupcake liner with 1/4 cup of batter. You should yield 12 cupcakes—Bake for 18 minutes or when you pull out a clean toothpick. Cool completely before adding frosting.
1) In a standing mixer or hand mixer, combine butter and cream cheese.
2) Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time. Add cocoa powder, espresso powder, and vanilla. Whip on three minutes at the highest speed for 3 minutes.
3) Frost completely cooled cupcakes.
If you love this recipe, share it with your family and friends.